Thursday, January 2, 2014

Gratin, cookies, and tarts

November 24, 2013
I went to one of my teachers' and mentors' house for a lunch. Baked a gratin (zucchini, carrot, mushroom, broccoli in white sauce). Accompanied with some baguette.


 I also tested out a recipe for Spéculoos, and I must say, they were pretty successful! (recipe below) I also baked them for some high school students I was spending a lot of time with. I used a cleaned tomato concentrate can as a cookie cutter. Mixed in some slivered almonds as extra texture fun. Baked a good... 100 of them.


Also used my new mini tart-tins (I have 6 of them) with removable bottom to make mini apple tarts! I tried making the crust myself instead of buying pre-made ones. I felt this one was too sweet, so I won't include the recipe in this post.



SPECULOOS RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 250 g (2 cups) flour
  • 100 g (7 tbs) butter or margarine (margarine makes it vegan but softer)
  • 150 g (12-13 tbs) brown sugar
  • 2 g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 4-5 tbs cold water
  Procedure
  1. Take butter out ahead of time to let it soften.
  2. Preheat oven at 180°C (350°F).
  3. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
  4. Cut in softened butter and rub into the flour into a sandy mix.
  5. Add water progressively until it comes together into a smooth dough.
  6. Roll out and cut into desired shapes.
  7. Bake for 15 mins.
  Tips
  • Mix some sliced almonds into the dough for extra texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment