Monday, September 24, 2012

Pseudo Okonomiyaki (vegan version)

I found the recipe on Your Vegan Mom, though I made it super non-traditional (therefore without cabbage... and vegan... and with whatever I had).



From biggest to smallest:
Batter bowl, seaweed bowl, and sauce bowl.


Ingredients: (for a full meal for 2 people)
- 1 cup broth (explanation below)
- 3/4 cup normal tofu
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- A bunch of shredded veggies
>>> In this okonomiyaki: 3 white mushrooms, 2 carrots,1 small potato, 1/3 zucchini, small piece of eggplant. I used up half of that in this batch.

Procedure:
For the broth: having made snap beans previously, then carrots after that, I kept on using the same water that I refrigerated after use. This was the base for my veggie broth. All I had to do was add a small spoon of mushroom seasoning/soup base.

1. Blend tofu and broth until smooth (it smelled like soy milk when I opened the cap of the blender)
2. Shred your veggies
3. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Add the broth/tofu mix. Stir well.
4. Add in the veggies (a little less than the volume of batter).
5. Lightly oil your pan. Make your "pancakes" (thinner makes it crispier. I made small ones, though normally, you would use a large pan).

For the topping, use a barbecue sauce, or soy sauce. I was daring, and tried making the mayonnaise (haha, this part is not vegan), maple syrup, soy sauce, and sesame oil mix in the recipe in the link above.

I put some sushi seaweed in a blender and pulsed a few times to get the shredded seaweed. At some point, I added some roasted sesame seeds. Delicious and filling dinner.

Especially good followed by a cup of hot matcha milk~

(for those who don't know, matcha is green tea powder)

No comments:

Post a Comment