Saturday, June 14, 2014

Egg-free Berry Tiramisu with Génoise Sponge

 

We celebrated a late Fathers' Day (it was on the 8th, here in Belgium) yesterday, since my brother could not make it on the actual day. Due to the hot weather lately, I felt we needed something refreshing for dessert.

I settled for a tiramisu with homemade sponge. I used this recipe as a base for the egg-free génoise sponge cake, but subbed some vanilla extract instead of using strawberry flavor. I was also out if oil, so I melted some butter and used that instead.


I baked it flat, because I intended to cut strips out of it to roll into spirals to fit into the glasses. That originally beautiful plan fell through as the cake just broke while I was trying to roll it. Too bad. I then went and ripped it into little squares and soaked them in some mint tea I had made by steeping mint leaves from the garden in some hot water.


All this time, I was busy defrosting my frozen mixed berries (raspberries, currants, blackcurrants, blueberries, strawberries).


Then I beat some whipping cream into soft peaks, and mixed in some ricotta and some sugar.


Time to layer everything~ I put tea-soaked sponge in the glasses (I made 10 of them), followed by a layer of cream mix, topped with spoonfuls of berries. Then I repeated these steps, and used the last layer of berries to decorate.


I originally wanted to try and make hearts out of the round berries (currants, blackcurrants, blueberries), but it turned kind of messy, especially with the juice flowing everywhere. So I settled for a standing raspberry and a carpet of other berries. Due to the lack of color contrast, I decided to add a few mint leaves on top.


The effect would have been even better if there hadn't been juice flowing everywhere, but by that time, I was too dead tired to try and really drain every spoonful of berries.


EGGLESS GENOISE SPONGE RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 1 cup (245 g) yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup (111 g) oil
  • 1/2 up (100 g) sugar
  • flavor
  Procedure
  1. Preheat oven at 200°C for 10 mins.
  2. Sieve flour twice (I went for 4 times) then set aside.
  3. Cream yogurt and sugar until sugar has completely dissolved. Add baking soda and baking powder, and whisk/beat for 2 mins. Leave aside for another 5 mins until bubbles have formed.
  4. Add oil and flavor. Then add in flour little by little and beat until smooth.
  5. Bake at 200°C for 10 mins, then reduce heat to 180°C and abake for 30-35 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment