Sunday, August 10, 2014

Vegan Flan/Crème Brulée


In my plum tart post, I mentioned a vegan custard recipe, which I used as a base for the fruits on the tart. I had put the leftover custard into small oven dishes and filmed them to prevent the formation of a weird skin.


I then put a layer of brown sugar on top and broiled them in the oven until melted and slightly toffee-like.


Unfortunately, either because I took too long between the making of the custard and the caramelizing/toffee-ing, or because of the reheating and re-cooling, the texture of the custard wasn't the smooth creaminess I found in the tart base. The flavor, however, was wonderful, especially with the melted brown sugar that became both a small film of crunchiness and a delicious caramel sauce. This will be something to try again, maybe with tweaks to the recipe.

Rest assured, the recipe was fine in the tart~

VEGAN CUSTARD RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 500 mL milk of choice (I used unsweetened soymilk)
  • 2 tbs honey/syrup/unrefined sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbs cornstarch (which I didn't have so I subbed with 6 tbs wheat flour)
  Procedure
  1. Mix milk, sweetener, and vanilla in a pot and heat until almost boiling.
  2. Make a slurry out of starch and a bit of water, and add to the pot, stirring.
  3. Simmer until thickened.
  4. Consume as fast as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment