Thursday, April 16, 2015

Milk Tart (Melktert)


Long ago, I saw a recipe from Cakecrumbs for a milk tart, a cinnamon-flavored South African custard tart. Initially, it was the appearance of it that drew me -- that, and the word "cinnamon." The custard itself, however, required quite a few eggs that I know, from experience, would not work with just egg replacer. Google helped me to find a vegan alternative.


First, I settled with making a shortbread crust, which I put into my mini tart pans, and baked until golden. This time, instead of standing around rubbing the butter into the flour, I attempted to pulse it a few times in a blender with a chopper blade attachment, and finished the rest by cutting with two knives. It made for more dishes to wash, but resulted in a much shorter pastry, and less mess on my own fingers.


Then came the time to make the filling. I looked in my various ingredients and baking equipment boxes, convinced that I had a bag of cinnamon sticks laying around. The one time I wanted to use one, and it turns out I left them at home. Silly me. Cinnamon powder would have to do.

Simmering soy milk with the cinnamon, I added a slurry made with some more soy milk and cornstarch. Once cooled a little, I filled in my tarts, then left them set in the fridge. It actually took two days to stop jiggling. Then the whole surface was dusted in a mix of icing sugar and cinnamon.


Since I had some excess custard, I filled little dessert jars for extra nomming.

MILK TART RECIPE (for approximately 6 mini tarts)
  Ingredients

     Shorbread Crust
  • 250 g (2 cups) flour
  • 150 g (10.5 tbs) butter, diced
  • 25 g (2 tbs) unrefined sugar
  • 2 tbs cold water
  • a pinch of salt
     Custard Filling
  • 2.5 cups soymilk
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder or cinnamon stick
  • 3 tbs cornstarch
  • sugar, to taste
     Dusting
  • 1 tbs icing sugar
  • 1 tbs cinnamon powder
  Procedure

     Shortbread Crust
  1. Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
  2. In a blender with chopper blade, pulse flour mix with butter until a breadcrumb consistency is obtained.
  3. Add water progressively until the dough comes together into a ball.
  4. Refrigerate 30 mins before rolling out.
  5. Preheat oven 180°C.
  6. Roll out to desired thickness, and line pans with the dough.
  7. Using a fork, poke holes all over the surface of the dough.
  8. Bake for 15-30 minutes, or until golden.
     Custard Filling
  1. In a pot, mix 2 cups of soymilk with cinnamon, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer to infuse cinnamon.
  2. Make a slurry out of the cornstarch and the remaining soymilk.
  3. Progressively add slurry to the hot soymilk, whisking constantly.
  4. Add sugar to taste, and continue cooking until thickened.
     Assembly
  1. Pour custard filling into the tart shells.
  2. Let cool then refrigerate overnight.
  3. Dust with a mix of cinnamon and icing sugar.
  Tips and Comments

  • You can use any other milk. I just used soymilk because that is what I had at hand.
  • I ran out of cornstarch halfway through, so I subbed the rest with 3 times the volume in wheat flour. This requires longer cooking for it to thicken, however.
  • This recipe is for approximately 6 mini tarts, although I am not sure about how much filling it would make. I made 3 mini tarts with 1/2 of the crust recipe, and used about 2 cups of soymilk overall to fill my 3 tarts and two little glass pots.
  • If you have leftovers, put them in various recipients (jars, glass pots, etc.), and refrigerate to make little custards.

No comments:

Post a Comment