Monday, February 1, 2016

Lemon Sponge Cake with Cranberry Topping


I rarely start a post with a picture of the slice, but this time, the inside was what was important! For a dinner among friends, I tackled a recipe I found on Indian Kitchen, for an eggless lemon sponge cake. When the cake came out of the oven, I was surprised at how nicely spongy it was.


The yellowish color of the crumb comes simply from the lemon. When we ate it, however, we deemed the cake a little on the dry side. Maybe infusing it with some juice after baking, or baking it for a shorter time would have remedied that.


The topping is a sauce I made with rehydrated dried cranberries and candied orange peels that I had made a few weeks ago. I just stuck a couple handfuls of chopped dried cranberries and some candied orange peels in a pot with some water, and simmered it all until all the dried bits were rehydrated. Then I added a bit of a slurry of cornstarch to thicken it up. After cooling, I topped the cake with the mix.



RECIPE adapted from Indian Kitchen
  Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/3 cup yogurt
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • zest 1 lemon
  • 3 tbs lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup vegetable juice
  Procedure
  1. Preheat oven 180˚C.
  2. In a bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
  3. In a mixing bowl, whisk yogurt and powdered sugar.
  4. Add lemon juice and zest, and oil. Mix well.
  5. Add in sifted flour mix, and mix until combined.
  6. Pour into prepared pan and bake 20-30 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Cool in the pan for about 2 mins.
  8. Unmold and cool on a cooling rack.
  9. Top and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment