Monday, February 1, 2016

Lime and Lemon Shortbreads


The end of another short (and unofficial) internship meant another batch of cookies to deliver. I especially wanted to thank the doctor I was shadowing at the time, so I stamped a handful of these cookies with a "Thank You" message with a heart~

I was half tempted to make cranberry shortbreads again, but decided to opt for something different. Part of my motivation for this was that I did not want to deal with creaming butter and sugar. Therefore, I flipped through my "La Grande Imprimerie Gourmande" recipe book, which is full of various shortbread recipes, from the sweet to the savory.


I came across this citrus shortbread recipe that didn't seem like it would be too much trouble. In fact, the only problem was that there was no lemon or lime at home! A quick trip to the grocery store at the end of the road, and that was remedied with 4 untreated lemons and some limes.


I made a single batch of these, intending to make more. However, a shortage of time caught me, and I only managed the one. However, it was sufficient for the doctor and the nurses of the department. Unfortunately, one did not like lemon, so she did not eat any, but I could not have predicted that.


I made a small package with the portion for the doctor, and then put the rest in a small box to leave on the table of the nurses' room. Ingredients lists were stuck on, and a small blue flower.



RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 1 small lemon
  • 1 lime
  • 200 g unsalted butter, softened
  • 300 g flour
  • 100 g powdered sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt
  Procedure
  1. Preheat oven 150˚C.
  2. Zest the lemon and the lime. Juice them in separate bowls.
  3. In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, and zests.
  4. Add 1 tsp lime juice, and 1 tbs lemon juice, then the butter.
  5. Mix by hand until the dough comes together, without overmixing.
  6. Form a ball, and cover it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
  7. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to about 1 cm thickness.
  8. Cut out desired shapes, and bake for 20 minutes.
  9. Let cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment