Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Hallway Dinner

In my college dorm, we often organize hallway dinners where everyone living in the same hallway gathers together for a dinner. The way it is done varies from hallway to hallway, but in mine, we usually have one person cooking for the whole hallway. This Monday, it was my turn.

First, I cooked up a large pot of curry, accompanied by a choice of white or brown rice.


This curry consists of potatoes, carrots, lentils, a bit of tomato, eggplant, and cashews. The thickening agent in the sauce is simply the potato starch (and an extra potato I mashed up), since I couldn't use wheat flour, since one of my hallway mates is allergic to gluten. Some extra stuff added, besides the spices, curry powder, and cilantro are soy cream (heavy cream made out of soy) and lactose-free yogurt, for another of my hallway mates is lactose intolerant. Besides these, the recipe's pretty much the same as this one. With me as a vegetarian and others who are omnivores, we've got people of all kinds here!

I also made a bowl of raita (yogurt-cucumber salad) simply seasoned with salt and pepper. I made it with lactose-free yogurt as well. I didn't manage to take a picture of it, though.

For dessert, I made individual portions of blackcurrant topped lemon cheesecake in silicone cupcake cups. These were accompanied by small bars of spéculoos cookies, and all in all were just smaller versions of these ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment