Sunday, September 25, 2016

Eggless Lemon Bars


A few weeks ago, my cousin L and I had a friend over for dinner. I also had a single overripe banana sitting around waiting to be either used or dumped. Since I am no fan of dumping food, I looked for a way to use it up.

Banana bread requires at least 3 bananas, and so did my banana brownies. I then recalled a recipe I had stumbled upon for an eggless version of lemon bars, from Heart of a Baker. Not that I had ever tasted any classic lemon bars, I opted to give it a try.

First, I lined a small pan with my usual pâte brisée (shortcrust pastry), which I baked for about 10 minutes. Then I filled it with the lemon filling, and baked it some more. The result was a zingy, fresh bar that smelled like banana but tasted 100% lemon.


LEMON BAR RECIPE
  Ingredients
  Procedure
  1. Prepare the crust in an 8 in. x 8 in. pan as per the shortcrust pastry recipe. Precook 10 mins.
  2. In a bowl, mash the banana.
  3. Add in the rest of the ingredients.
  4. Pour into the crust.
  5. Bake for 30 mins at 180˚C or until set.
  6. Cool then refrigerate min. 1 hour.
  7. Cut into squares or bars.
  8. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment