Sunday, September 25, 2016

Mini Strawberry Crostata (Gluten-Free)


New semester, new batches of hallway dinners! This year, the whole end of the hallway changed, as the seniors graduated and new freshmen come in. The new hallway as a whole became a bit more complicated in terms of food. In all, we have vegetarians, lactose intolerants, gluten, soy, and nuts allergies...

This made baking for an Italian-themed dinner more difficult. I therefore opted for the simplest thing I could think of, which was crostata. Crostata are jam tarts, usually covered in a lattice of some kind. The challenge, this time, was working with gluten-free flour (buckwheat flour in this case).


I came across a recipe for buckwheat flour pastry from pep's Free from Kitchen, which I used with a flax egg. The filling is simply strawberry jam from the supermarket, to which I added lemon juice to cut through the sweetness. I used a pastry cutter to cut the strips of dough to make the lattice on top, which all threatened to break left and right. All in all, it resulted in a pastry that I felt was a bit dry.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, thanks for linking to the blog and for trying the recipe. I'm sorry the pastry turned out a bit dry, it's one of the characteristics of buckwheat flour. If you want an easier to work with pastry the chia egg version is the best choice. Thanks again.

    https://pepsfreefromkitchen.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice, this is my second time working with gluten-free flour, so I am not so used to it :D

      I would have loved to try the chia egg version, but unfortunately only had flax on hand. It is definitely on my list to try, though!

      Delete