Saturday, April 5, 2014

Candied Lemon-Orange Zest


A few days ago, I made these candied lemon and orange zest. I was making a fruit salad, and thought it would be a waste to throw away these nice zests, so after scrubbing them, I separated them from the bitter white parts.

After cutting into strips, I blanched them a bit in boiling water, removed them and drained them, and then dunked them and simmered in a bit of sugar syrup (sugar to water ratio 1:1).

The water from blanching and the leftover syrup were good, so I mixed them and made tea.


I tried making steamed cheesecake, but seeing how I didn't have any cream cheese, and not enough quark to make a full recipe, I kind of eyeballed the amounts and mixed some quark, cornstarch, and baking powder together. Then I threw in the candied zests, and steamed it. Guess I went a bit overboard on heat (or on baking powder)....


After cooling and refrigeration, it was ok... but the texture wasn't really great. Instead of nice creamy cheesecake, it was something closer to cheese, like some mozzarella or something, except less smooth. This would be something to experiment some more with.

The finished cheesecakes were pretty though. They tasted nice, just the texture was horrible for a cheesecake.


No comments:

Post a Comment