Sunday, April 10, 2016

Coffee Crumble Cake


This cake should rather be named "Coffee" Cake. The intended coffee flavor came out only as a fragrance, overpowered by the bananas I used. But more on that further down.

I wanted to use up some instant coffee my uncle had left here. At L's suggestion that I bake it into a cake, I started looking at recipes for espresso-flavored cake. That's when I came across this recipe by The Vegan and the Chef that seemed promising. I started measuring out ingredients, already mixing the flax egg and blending oats into flour, etc. When came the time for the wet ingredients, I realized I didn't have applesauce. Oops.


I do have apples. But at the moment, I did not want to deal with cooking them into an applesauce just to make this cake. I vaguely recalled that mashed bananas worked the same way -- albeit with less liquid -- so I too the 2 overripe bananas and got to work, adding in about 1/4 of hot water to mimic the moistness brought by applesauce.

*Update* After letting the cake sit for a night, the coffee flavor really came out above the banana!

Due to a lack of almond flour, I changed it all to oat flour. I was also too lazy to actually measure the butter required for the crumble topping, so I did it by eye. A lack of almonds turned me to the jar of walnuts I have. I additionally opted out on the vanilla and almond extracts. Last change was to use buttermilk, which I had on hand, rather than the almond milk and vinegar mix.


Next time, I'll use applesauce to preserve the coffee flavor of this cake.

RECIPE (adapted from The Vegan and the Chef)
  Ingredients


     Cake batter
     Dry ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup oat flour (~1 cup of dried oats, blended until fine)
  • 1 tbs instant coffee powder
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
     Wet ingredients
  • 1 flax egg
    • 1 tbs ground flax seeds
    • 3 tbs warm water
  • 2/3 cup almond/soy milk*
  • 1 tsp vinegar*
  • 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup unrefined cane sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
     * use 2/3 cup of buttermilk instead, if you have that on hand

     Crumble topping

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
  • 5 tbs butter
  • 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
  Procedure

    Cake batter
  1. In a small bowl, make the flax egg by combining the ground flax seeds and the warm water. Set aside
  2. If using almond/soy milk and vinegar, combine in another bowl and set aside 10 mins.
  3. In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
  4. In a mixing bowl, whisk together all remaining wet ingredients.
  5. Add in the flax egg and milk/vinegar mix or buttermilk.
  6. Fold in dry ingredients.
  7. Pour into prepared pan.
     Crumble mix
  1. Mix brown sugar, flour, and instant coffee powder.
  2. Rub in butter to obtain a mix like wet sand.
  3. Mix in chopped nuts.
  4. Spread in even layer on top of cake batter in the tin.
     Baking
  1. Preheat oven 180˚C.
  2. Bake for 1h15 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  3. Cook on a rack before unmolding.

No comments:

Post a Comment