Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Orange Cake


Tomorrow (well today, now since it's past midnight) is King's Day here in the Netherlands. Apparently a tradition that is often linked to the color orange, as many are in this country. I'm not so familiar with the holidays, but since we had hallway dinner today (yesterday), we had a theme of orange food.

The moment I heard that, I thought of the jars of candied tangerine zest that I still had from winter break (same as the ones used here). Then my thoughts drifted to candied orange slices, and orange flavored cake in general. So I stopped by the supermarket after class this morning, grabbed a net of oranges, and restocked on self-rising flour.


I set off first by really cleaning one of the oranges (salt or baking soda is really effective). Then I did my best to cut it into evenly thick slices. As I am so not proficient at that, I cut the whole orange, and selected the five best slices. A simple syrup (1:1 sugar to water ratio) in a pot, and those slices, simmering over medium-low heat started the candying process.

I shaved off the zest from most of the remaining, messed up slices, and chopped those up really small. Then I squeezed the juice into a measuring cup to use in the recipe. I wanted to test pairing it with some black tea flavor, so I stuck an English breakfast teabag into some hot water, and topped my orange juice with that.


The base of this recipe is the same as the matcha mochi cake I made a few weeks ago. I replaced the water with the orange juice/tea mix, didn't put in any matcha, but instead threw in the orange zests and a handful of candied orange peels into the dry ingredients, and followed the rest of the recipe, omitting the vinegar, as I deemed the orange juice sufficient. Due to the juice's acidity, I also increased the amount of sugar.

After cooling, I dusted the top with icing sugar, and decorated with the drained candied orange slices. Unfortunately, the tea taste wasn't strong enough to come through all that orange. I'm happy the cake came out fine as I had a couple of mishaps (accidentally used baking powder instead of baking soda...)



RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 200 g self-rising flour
  • 120 g sugar
  • 75 g cooking oil
  • 175 g orange juice/tea
  • zest of an orange
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • icing sugar, for decorating
  • candied orange slices, for decorating
  Procedure
  1. Preheat oven 170˚C.
  2. Grease and flour a loaf pan, or line it with baking paper. Alternatively, line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  3. In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and orange zests.
  4. In another bowl, mix orange juice/tea, oil, and vinegar.
  5. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
  6. Pour into prepared pan.
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Cool on a grill.
  9. Once completely cool, dust with icing sugar, and lay candied orange peels on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment