Sunday, April 10, 2016

Vegan Banana Waffles


I have been so busy of late with academics that I barely had any time to bake. These waffles date from a February weekend brunch with my cousin L, when I had ripe bananas to deal with (yet again).

First up was the batter. I adapted a recipe from Minimalist Baker, which resulted in my first time using ground flax seeds as an egg replacer. I had conveniently just gotten a jar of flax seeds from a friend, so I measured out 1 tablespoon of flax seeds and ground them with a mortar and pestle. Mixed it with some water and set it aside to do its thing. After adding the rest of the ingredients, I got a thick yet runny batter.


After heating the waffle iron, I poured the batter in and let it cook. I had some mishaps with a couple of almost burnt waffles, but otherwise, they were pretty good! The only adjustment I made from the recipe, if my memory works properly, was that I did not add any chocolate chips.



RECIPE (adapted from Minimalist Baker)
  Ingredients 
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk (I used soymilk)
  • 1 flax egg
    • 1 tbs ground flax seeds
    • 2 1/2 tbs water
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  Procedure
  1. Prepare the flax egg by combining the ground flax seeds and water in a bowl, stirring, and setting aside.
  2. In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas with the baking powder using a fork.
  3. Add milk, flax egg, and mix.
  4. Mix in salt and oats.
  5. Add flour until just combined.
  6. Let batter rest while preheating the waffle iron.
  7. Spray the iron with cooking spray or brush with oil.
  8. Pour in batter and cook according to waffle iron instructions.
  9. Remove and enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment