Monday, March 16, 2015

Apple Cinnamon Cake


My cousin's birthday was yesterday, and I could not find any of my usual baking tools. I did have a couple of things I had brought back from university with me, but I had little ingredients to work with, and little tools. (All my plans for an attempt at doing fancier decorations flew out the window).


I whipped up a vegan cake recipe (easiest, and I usually tend to have the ingredients for it in the kitchen). I added a dash of cinnamon in the batter for extra fragrance. Then I used some of the whipping cream that was sitting in the fridge and made a whipped cream topping. As I was out of idea, I found an apple sitting in the fruit basket, and sliced it, poached it in some sugar syrup, and topped the cake with that.


Then I used the remaining sugar syrup mixed with leftover glaze from some old apple tart, and glazed the apples for preservation and shiny-ness. The whole cake was then sprinkled with cinnamon.


Just for kicks, I'll include the cake recipe below. This is my go-to recipe for cake when I don't have much time or ingredients.

BASIC VEGAN CAKE RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 tbs vanilla extract
  • 1 tbs white or apple cider vinegar
  Procedure
  1. Preheat oven 180°C. Grease and flour a cake pan. Alternatively, use cupcake liners.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones.
  5. Mix well, ensuring there are no dry pockets of flour.
  6. Pour into pan.
  7. Bake for 30 mins (for a whole cake) or 20 mins (for normal-sized cupcakes), or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Let it cool and ice/top it however you want.
See, easy, right? =D

No comments:

Post a Comment