Sunday, March 1, 2015

Egg-free Frangipane and Pear Tart


Pears getting old in the fruit basket? Time to test a new recipe! I made the crust the same way as I always do (see recipe). Then I topped it with frangipane, an almond-based paste.


Since frangipane is usually made with eggs, I had to look for a good substitute, which I found on Z'oeufs peux pas, a French blog written by a mother with some kids who have egg allergies. The recipe itself can be found at this link, and is translated below.


As the pears were kind of hard, I poached them in sugar syrup with a hint of cinnamon. I topped the pre-baked crusts with the frangipane paste, then laid the sliced pears on top. The whole was baked for about 25 minutes, then glazed in reduced poaching liquid.

FRANGIPANE RECIPE (for about 7 mini tarts)
  Ingredients
  • 50 g butter, softened
  • 100 g ground almonds
  • 40 g golden sugar
  • 63 g golden sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  Procedure
  1. Mix sugar and butter. Add in ground almond.
  2. Mix in the plain yogurt and baking powder.
  3. Mix until smooth. This is easiest using a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment